Obtaining Permanent Residency In The US

There are several different ways to obtain permanent residency status in the U.S., all of which should be handled by an immigration attorney in California. In some situations, the person in question may be able to enter the country on a student visa and later apply for permanent residency. A family or an individual can also initiate this process by moving to the U.S. to gain full citizenship. Your immigration lawyer in CA should be committed to doing everything possible to support you during this difficult time. Your lawyer should sit down with you to discuss your family situation, your long-term objectives, and your current residency status in the U.S.

Common Reasons For Pursuing Permanent Residency

To be able to make your voice heard through your vote, to ensure justice through a greater variety of experiences considered in jury deliberations, to be able to secure employment with the federal government, to have less restrictions on your international travel, and in order to become fully integrated into the fabric of the country you have purposely made your home you should consider becoming a citizen of the United States. The most common manner to become a citizen of the United States is through a legal process known as naturalization.

To naturalize you must demonstrate that you are a person of good moral character, that you know basic history and civics of the United States, and with certain exceptions (having had lawful permanent resident status for a certain period of time and reaching a certain age, or, for certain documented medical conditions), that you are able to read, write, speak and understand the English language at a competent level. You must have been psychically present in the United States for a minimum of 50% of the time required to become eligible for the process of naturalization after having been granted lawful permanent resident status (5 years or 3 for some who are in the US military or married to a US citizen).

Deceptively simple, the N-400 probes into the applicant’s life to determine if they are eligible for the highest status we bestow upon an immigrant to the United States. Having a spouse and/or minor children outside of the United States will require a showing of support for those family members, as can a former spouse and minor children residing in the United States. Certain absences from the United States may also require special consideration due to purpose of the trip, length of the trip or country visited. For men, failing to register with Selective Service can be a bar from demonstrating good moral character. A criminal record can present unanticipated problems. These are just a few of the reasons you should consider consulting with an experienced immigration attorney.

Some people may already be citizens of the United States without knowing it. The Child Citizenship Act and the possible transmission of citizenship from a US citizen parent to a child born abroad are examples of how a person may not need to naturalize but obtain a Certificate of Citizenship. If the minor child is still abroad it may be possible to obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a US Passport before the child enters the United States. Sometimes people may need assistance in responding to the Passport Agency in their initial request for a US Passport.

At the Idiart Law Group, LLC we will handle your inquiries and potential case with the dignity and professionalism that every human being deserves. While we cannot guarantee we can help, we do guarantee that your case will be taken seriously.

Contact Us

Honest care • Clear advice • Smart approach

Call Us

(855) 772-6969

Text Us

(855) 772-6969


Monday: 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Tuesday: 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Wednesday: 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Thursday: 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Friday: 8:00AM - 5:00PM

*Hour and availability may vary by office location, please call ahead*

Contact Us

Contact Us

Call Us

(855) 772-6969

Text Us

(855) 772-6969


Monday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM

Tuesday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM

Wednesday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM

Thursday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM

Friday: 8:30AM - 12:00PM

*Hour and availability may vary by office location, please call ahead*

Southern Oregon

770 S. Front St
Ste. 200
Central Point, OR 97502
Phone: (541) 772-6969

Northern California

630 North San Mateo Dr
Suite 33
San Mateo, CA 94401
Phone: (650) 514-5004


111 SW 5th Street
Suite 3150
Portland, OR 97204


1435 E Main St
Suite B
Klamath Falls, OR 97601


160 SE G St
Grants Pass, OR 97526



2900 NW Clearwater Dr
Suite 200
Bend, OR 97703


815 SE Oak Ave
Roseburg, OR 97470


San Jose

690 Saratoga Ave,
Ste 100
San Jose, CA 95129


3310 Churn Creek Rd
Suite A
Redding, CA 96002


11601 Wilshire Blvd.
5th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90025


1417 N 615 E
Shelley, ID 83274
Phone: 208-423-3682


180 N. University Avenue
Suite 270
Provo, UT 84601

*Walk-in visits are not accepted at all of our locations*

Personal Injury Lawyers near you

©2019 Idiart Law Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Quick Links

Personal Injury 
Immigration Law

Our Promise

Our promise to you is that we handle each case individually and with care. We take cases the many lawyers pass up because we know that you cannot afford to fight the system alone. Give us a call, send us a text or stop in and we will help you know that you are more than a case but a person with a story. Let us be apart of your story.

Disclaimer: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Any case results found on this website do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter. Every case is circumstantial. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use